Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chai


In America, the only time I've found good chai is at Indian or Nepali restaurants--forget about those pre-made mixes from Whole Foods! Here is my favorite chai recipe:


2 black peppercorns or 1/8 tsp ground pepper

4 cloves

5 cardamom pods (or like 1/2 tsp powder)

3 cups water

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 cup milk

2 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp loose black tea


1) Crush the peppercorns, cloves and cardamom

2) Bring spices and water to a boil over medium heat. Steep 5 min.

3) Stir in milk and sugar--return to boil.

4) Remove pan from heat, add tea. Steep 3 min.

5) Strain and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the blue and white tea pot and cup of chai. I bet alot of people will use your recipe. Now you're cooking. Good spot. Love, M.

crazywriter84 said...

I may just have to try that. I will drink just about any tea, but having that one perfect kind is always good.