Saturday, July 5, 2008

I Go In Spurts

I do. Sometimes cooking is the last thing I want to do--epsecially after getting home from work at night. And sometimes everything I make for weeks will be dreadful. But then...there are times when somehow I hit a string of wonderful recipes and everything I make is delicious! I love that--it's where I am this moment.
I think it's because I'm moving out of my house in three days. Headed first to retreat for a month, then to my parents or cousin's house for a few weeks, and then off to Asia...No kitchen of my own (at least an American one) for at least 14 months! And so suddenly I can't stop cooking--it's my last chance for so long.
And so there's been a dinner of rice and eggs and applewood smoked bacon, cornmeal cake with blackberry jam sauce from this recipe, and this morning's breakfast of delectable grits adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.
Slab Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Broiled Grits
-cooked applewood smoked bacon (I used leftovers from the other night's dinner)
-2 cups milk
-1 cup grits
-salt and pepper
-1 3/4 cups grated sharp cheddar
-2 cups water
1) Combine milk and water in a pan. Cover and bring to boil.
2)Add grits and pinch of salt. Lower to medium. Cook, stirring constantly until grits thicken.
3)Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring every few minutes.
5)Add pinch of pepper (I didn't as I hate pepper!), crumbled bacon, 1 1/4 cups cheese and mix. Transfer to baking dish or skillet and broil till cheese is bubbly. Eat!

1 comment:

Silvia said...

I hope you'll still update when you're abroad!