Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hard to Believe

That a mere nine days ago my dawns were spent circumambulating the Migyur Dorje stupa in the cool of the fog. Mornings spent drinking chai, eating puri, washing and hanging laundry on the line and practising in our unbearably hot but still room. An evening found Keith and I on Khenpo's roof, sitting on cushions at his feet receiving teachings in the glow of Zangdoplari...

These days,
mornings are spent chatting and doing errands with my dad--squeezing practice in while he goes for a walk at the mall. My parents and I sup on soup and bread. Then more errands and chatting...

And today,
today found me on the phone for three hours with a guy in India--trying to get wireless to work on my laptop, and laying on the couch with my mom discussing the benefits of reconstructive surgery vs prosthesis....

I've gone back in time a day
Gone from hot to cold
Quiet to noisy
Calm to slightly stressed out

Looking for a job
Worrying about money
Running around trying to get my car on the road...

I'm definitely in America!

Meanwhile....
I've been slightly worried about K, alone there in Nepal, only four hours of power a day, eating crappy food made by pubescent monks. But today I received an email from him. In it, he told me he's been going around Kathmandu with Donald Trump...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you mean the rich guy with ugly hair? or is it someone with the same name but better hair?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a 180 degree shift. Loved getting back, so sad that I am here. Strange, I still get the same every time. I think it is the freshness is what I like about travel - without that home grows dim very soon, even though its so great all the time.

Jenn/PaperPinwheel said...

so true robert...hope you're well! -jenn