Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Sister

Everything is well and good when I'm all quiet in my room practising. Everything is fine when I happily place a 10 rupee note in the leper's bucket and then another in the hand of one of the most beautiful girls ever-the middle sister of the 3 beautiful little girls who beg at the shopping somplex--the most persistent beggars there. But things quickly fell apart when I'd already run out of my beggar allowance for the day and the oldest of the sisters ran up to me, hands folded at her heart and begging nonstop and touching my feet and arms and following me. I just totally lost it. No amount of, "Nays," could make her stop. She whipped me into a fury until I looked her dead in the eye and said rather loudly, "Nay!" only she still kept following me as I tried to ignore her and kept brusquely walking...This morning, she stood at the end of the korwa circuit, her eyes bruised.

No comments: