Saturday, July 31, 2010

Berries!!!!!

I always have a list. What follows is a list within a list (from the item "try all edible berries before dying"):

-Bearberry: An evergreen shrub with white flowers and red berries.
-Hackberries: Small and orange-yellow, hackberries can be eaten when they are ripe enough to fall from the tree.
-Wild Rose:
Also known as rosehips, these berries are red and oval. They are an excellent source of Vitamin C.
-Sea Buckthorn:
Orange yellow berries that may be in season throughout the winter. As their name suggests, sea buckthorn can be found along the coast.
-Thimbleberries:
Also known as salmonberries, thimbleberries are shaped like thimbles. Their plant has white flowers and large green leaves. Sometimes the leaves are made into tea.
Barberry
Crowberry
Elderberry
Nannyberry
Honeyberries
Mayapple
Strawberry tree
Gurbir
Seagrape
Wintergreen
Sugarberry
Bilberry
Whortleberry
Cowberry
Foxberry
Juniper Berries
Mountain Cranberry
Red, Black or Purple Chokeberry
Dewberry
Salmonberry
Boysenberry

Cloudberry
Chehalem berry
Loganberry (I think I actually tried this before)
Thimbleberry
Wineberry
Youngberry
Juneberries
Saskaton berries
Shade berry
Marionberry (a cross between olallieberries and chealem berries)

OH MY GOODNESS! WHO KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY BERRIES!
I can see I have my work cut out for me...the hunt is on.

Berries I've Managed to Get My Hands On (oh the excitement):
-Ollalieberry (a cross between loganberries and youngberries
-Service berry
-Tayberries (a cross between blackberries and raspberries)
-Gooseberries
-Huckleberries
-Teaberries
-Mulberries
-And of course, your run of the mill strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and black raspberries! Phew!

No comments: