Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Odds and Ends

She pulled chunks of stained glass from the ocean (in my dream). His body flowing down the page. Gramp's old rotary phone on the wall by the cuckoo clock. That day held me prisoner. A ripening headache. An old tree covered in glitter. And tired. And how can I stand it? How can any of us? Everything under wraps--nothing decoded. Oh to run in the snow and be free and open. Grains of rice swell. Water droplets drip. I imagine my word swirl around you, the distance it brings. His burns will heal, but when did I stop looking at trees? This is the year 2134? Slip of thigh. The leaf of days. He showed me a picture of her when she was young. He'd had it in his wallet 65 years. We sat on brown swivel stools, arms leaning on yellow formica. (You are) an artichoke's sweet aftertaste. Want to preserve my thoughts like a bug in amber--the irony. At the sink, sun reflects off the blade of a knife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this, it makes me sad, nostalgic and feel open. You have a beautiful way of keeping things vague and at the same time real and piognant. I am your biggest fan.