Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer Highlights

Well, this summer I have not been to a proper beach (only the beautiful Bear Lake where I wouldn't swim with Keith when he wanted to cause there was garbage about) or hung in a hammock or swum in a pool or gone berry picking in the woods, or camped, as all the parks were full that time. But I have:
1. made and eaten lots of delicious popsicles
2. eaten lots of fresh corn
3. hiked to three glacial lakes surrounded by fields of wildflowers
4. seen a bear
5.stuck my legs in the beautiful iciness of Crazy Creek with Talia
6.watched Jessie wrangle the horses
7.watched Old Faithful geyser it up
8. eaten lots of delicious Farmer's Market melon
9. planted a garden and successfully grown tons of sweetslice cucumbers, basils, lemon verbena, lime thyme (not so successfully) and three different kinds of heirloom tomatoes (which are slowly chugging along--I've yet to eat one)
10. worked on poems and stories and finally submitted a few pieces to journals
11. dunked my head in a waterfall
12. sat inside a tree
13. hiked in snow in June
14. made amazing spearmint ice cream
15. made and eaten two blueberry pies (not eaten all by myself!)
16. picked and eaten lots of strawberries from the yard and mulberries and grapes from sidewalk trees and bushes
17. gone on a ropeswing in Snowbasin
18. swum (is this really a word?) in two amazing swimming holes in Snowbasin
19. covered myself with clay with Meredith
20. roasted marshmallows and eaten smores twice! (once outside with Eleanor and her lovely family. 3 horses wanting to get in on the action).
21. watched fireworks twice
22. gone on bikerides in the canyon by the creek (well, okay, only twice)
23. gone on picnics
24. gone to the DriveIns twice
25. made and drank lots of sun and herb tea
26. waded in beautiful Jenny Lake
27. eaten huckelberry ice cream for the first time (very exciting!)
28. seen the Great Salt Lake in all it's pungent glory
29. visited Boulder twice and gotten over it
30. eaten breakfast outside on the sundeck (but not lately)
31. received two wangs from the Khyentse Yangsi!
32. checked out and read oodles of library books
33. watched huge slow buffalo walk the streets looking like lost snuffleupaguses 

Still To Do:
1. go again to above mentioned glacial lake. this time swim, then lay on huge hot rocks to dry.
2. pick and eat one of my very own homegrown tomatoes
3. picnic again
4. go to water park on a weekday--is it still open?

That's all I can think of. I guess my summer is almost complete!

2 comments:

edward coughlin said...

what's on the fall and winter lists?

Jenn/PaperPinwheel said...

You'll just have to wait and see! (actually I don't even know yet. I'm still not even letting myself think of fall). Miss you guys though and hope we can make it to Florida! Love j xxoo