Saturday, November 6, 2010

Delicata, Kale and Cranberry Bean Salad

Sometimes I go through a short spell where I don't feel like eating anything, when I just feel so sick of everything I usually eat. For the past week K has been feeling this way. However, I think I broke the spell with this fall salad I made yesterday.

I found this recipe in Gourmet a few years ago and remembered loving it when I made last autumn. It is really simple and delicious and I can't believe I've only eaten it a few times this year! Maybe having the recipe here on the blog will remind me to make it more often...

Delicata, Kale and Cranberry Bean Salad
2 medium delicata squash
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1/2 bunch kale
1 large shallot
1 garlic clove minced
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
1 tsp coarse salt
1 can cranberry or cannellini beans

1)Preheat oven to 400. Cut squash into 1/2 inch thick semicircles. Toss with oil and bake till tender.
2)Mix balsamic + honey. Brush some onto squash. Bake 5 more min.
3)Cook shallot and garlic in oil. Add red-wine vinegar and rest of balsamic+honey, bring to boil.
4) Pour hot dressing over kale and sprinkle with salt.
5) Add squash+beans

Okay, so this is a salad so of course the recipe doesn't have to be closely followed. Yesterday when I made this I didn't include the shallots/garlic. I also didn't have any cranberry beans and so used adzuki beans. And it was still super delicious.