Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Also, About Expectations


 Sufjan Stevens/Vesuvius/Montreal

The last time I saw Sufjan Stevens, years ago in Philadelphia, it was one of the best shows I'd ever seen. He and his band wore giant, beautiful flapping butterfly wings (and called themselves the butterfly brigade)--and played amazingly lovely songs.

But then last week I heard  The Age of Adz, his new album and found it kind of hard to listen to--more like his earliest albums--lots of discordant sounds. At the time, I didn't realize he had also put out a beautiful new EP, All Delighted People. Anyway, I went to the concert the other night with no expectations, only to be amazed and delighted at the magical show I saw. Seriously. If he is about to come to your city--go see the show! It was unlike anything I've ever seen, and also sweet and honest and beautiful. The songs were interspersed with anecdotes and tales of his dreams and talk of these new "apocalyptic lovesongs" of his. Truly beautiful and inspiring stuff.

2 comments:

Silvia said...

Isn't he amazing? His LA show was so magical.
I wonder if we were at the same show in Philly! Was it in 2006, at a big theatre? I drove there by myself in the rain because I couldn't find anyone to go with me.

Jenn/PaperPinwheel said...

yes! i remember it was raining so hard! keith and i didn't have tickets but someone outside gave us third row tickets for free--it was crazy! too bad we didn't go together!